Option B
62%

Total votes: 13

Topic author
Eightgenerals
Game Master

The Channeler Class

Post by Eightgenerals » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:22 am

Hey folks. Here are the current options for the Channeler as a Class or Classes in our Server. Bear in mind that these are Formats and tweaks will likely be made during the development process:

Option A:
The Channeler -- A Single Class making use of all character Attributes to determine general power, as well as Affinity for one or more of the Five Powers.
Strength = Fire
Dexterity = Air
Constitution = Earth
Intelligence = Spirit, General Weave Buffs
Wisdom = Water
Charisma = Core Attribute
A note, Spirit and General Weave Buffs are lumped under Intelligence, as Spirit is only heavily used in more Complex Weaves (Weather, Healing, Compulsion), and if you Channel "Smart" enough to use these Weaves mroe efficiently than other Weaves may be easier to use as well.
General Weave Buffs designates changes to spell Duration and Additional Casts per Day.
Prestiges may allow for this class to fully specialize down a path, but discussion on this will wait until a decision on the Core Classes are made.

Option B:
Changing the existing classes -- This option will have tweaks made to the current classes (Cleric, Druid, Wizard, and Sorcerer) to better fit what a Channeler is but offering unique Identities signifying different kinds of Channeler.

Cleric (New name undecided) = The strongest in healing. Want to offer them stronger Offensive and Control Weaves. Strong 'Battlemage' potential. Would give them Paladin specific spells.

Druid (Elementalist) = The best at AoE. Druid kit already expresses the model of 'Raw Power,' thanks to their slew of AoEs. This class would be given Primal Elementals as 'Companions' instead of Animals (Instead of a Fireball, imagine them controlling a mass of Fire and moving it among enemies) and Elemental Forms (Wreathing themselves in a chosen Power). Would give them Ranger specific spells.

Wizard (New name undecided) = Best at Control. Wizard already has a high skill capacity, possibly opening up additional skills as class skills for them to use would be good. give them healing from the Ranger spell list (?).

Sorcerer (New name undecided) = Best at Enhancement(Buffs). Best fits my view of the way Asha'man are trained in the Black Tower, a mix of Channeling and combat. Perhaps an expanded class weapon list and the ability to apply Charisma to AB(?). Would give them Bard Spells, including their healing abilities.

Please take your time to consider these options, as there will be a poll up within the next few days. Please be sure to vote when it's up!
Last edited by Eightgenerals on Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaylee77

Post by Kaylee77 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:49 am

May I propose Merging Cleric and Wizard into the Initiate Class, the have the Druid and Sorcerer Lumped together as the Wilder Class
Prime Attribute for the Initiate could be Intel, and for the Wilder be Chr. This could still offer a choice in Channelers. only possible draw back Initiates would start as Novices or Soliders for RP

Topic author
Eightgenerals
Game Master

Post by Eightgenerals » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm

I'm personally not fond of using that idea, as the point of the four classes is to denote innate strongpoints of different channelers: AKA, Druids are good at strong displays of power, Clerics excell at Healing, and so on. Another issue is that while I appreciate the suggestion, Naming these classes "Initiate" or "Wilder" turns the class ideas into "How they learned" as opposed to "Innate Strengths" even though at the end most channelers end up being trained by a faction.

TheCapulet
Director

Post by TheCapulet » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:58 pm

From a development standpoint, option B is much easier (And quicker) to accomplish. Just thought I'd throw that perspective out there.

ImperialKnightofIreland
Administrator

Post by ImperialKnightofIreland » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:31 am

I think in the long run, trying to balance one class, will be much easier than hodge podge of other classes. Is there a way to gender wise strengths and weakness in the One Power?
Emillia Dampier~Hunter of the Horn

sacoroth

Post by sacoroth » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:48 pm

I like option A better, but I had to vote for option B as I don’t believe any class should have spells decided on certain abilities such as strength and dex. The balance of D&D in my opinion already favors casters, I don’t see the point of making even more classes obsolete. I probably won’t play a caster, so my opinion is obviously bias however.

Victus

Post by Victus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:45 pm

I think for me and my largest concern with option B comes into the effects of the Weave learning system, if we choose to employ it, will be fairly unworkable with Option B.

It will leave us with the fact that only some characters can teach others weaves as they will be pulling their spells from different spell pools which will not cross over. That system was a hugely unique and really fun change from the system of NWN and made for a lot of different and fun situations as well as Roleplay.
-Victus
"I may be mad, but at least I always have company."

Gwydion
Game Master

Post by Gwydion » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 pm

Voted

Topic author
Eightgenerals
Game Master

Post by Eightgenerals » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:54 am

Victus wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:45 pm
I think for me and my largest concern with option B comes into the effects of the Weave learning system, if we choose to employ it, will be fairly unworkable with Option B.

It will leave us with the fact that only some characters can teach others weaves as they will be pulling their spells from different spell pools which will not cross over. That system was a hugely unique and really fun change from the system of NWN and made for a lot of different and fun situations as well as Roleplay.
The fact is that I was likely to disregard weave learning if we go with option B: It might over complicate things across 4 classes. I will say that there will definitely be some line blurring with Option B, however, as I want each of these classes, on some level, to be capable of filling multiple roles, even if they're absurdly weak at it. All of that would come with Balance discussions once we have determined what we want to do.